03 February 2009

This feels surreal

First of all, why I love Canada and why many people are deathly afraid of it; we're about to experience a week of snow in February. I suppose this shouldn't be too shocking as February, especially the beginning, is still in the heart of winter, but still. In Halifax, a week full of snow is a rarity, I'd bet more money on snow-rain-slush-ice pellets coming from the sky all in the same day. But alas, the storm has began, which makes leaving Canada all that more picturesque for the sun and the sand in Australia. It feels extremely surreal that I'm leaving in a six days for this trip, I guess I took all that time planning it that I never took time to think what would actually happen when the time came when it was time to leave. I'm not even close to regretting it, I'm still very excited, but I'm also, and I think naturally so, a little nervous about it all. Going to a new place by yourself, not at all knowing what to expect. At least they all speak some form of English, or I'd be in for a real change. So I'm still just really packing up my things, getting everything ready to go. Of course, being me and thinking way too much about way too many things, I'm going through in my mind every future minute that I'll be spending in Halifax, and how great it will be to see a whole bunch of people Wednesday night before I leave. In some regards, because I know I'll be back eventually it kinda feels like I'm only going away for a week or something along those lines, but then I remember that six and a half months is way more than a week, and how much this whole experience could offer me and change me.

I'd like to say I hope the experience is everything I'm hoping it to be (obviously), but I actually have no idea what I'm hoping from it or what to expect. Even Adelaide is such a mystery to me because you hear so many things from people that talk of their great times in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane, but Adelaide, rarely do people even know where it is. The urban densities (thanks wikipedia) are roughly the same when comparing Halifax and Adelaide, so although there's a great population when you get down to the areas that I've lived, there shouldn't be too much of a shock in that regard. The pictures of the city look great enough that I'm certainly gonna have to take a advantage of taking in all the sites, and for the first month when everyone's still shut away in winter hibernation, put up as much pictures as possible to make people jealous.

One thing I do hope for from the trip is that my computer will survive. Its getting worse and worse, today was particularly quite pathetic. My only link back home. Its kinda funny but as excited as I am for the trip, I'm almost equally excited for September to come as well, even know its half a year away. I guess thats just me thinking way too far forward, so I'll do my best to stop that, but I do miss school for sure and would like to get back into the swing of things in that regard. Well, tomorrow's my last day in Halifax, so I want to get all my packing done so I can enjoy it as best I can, so I'll get back to that.