12 February 2009

Dear Adelaide, I've arrived

That had to be one of the worst and best traveling experiences of my life. I just figured out in an email that I just traveled 17820 kms in roughly 36 hours, minus the layover and sitting around. I'm sure that actual time in the air wasn't over 24 but theres a slight chance it might be. Either way, I'm here and with all my luggage. Some highlights and low points from the trip;
-Got in Toronto way too early thanks to an over cautious mother (as if there's any other kinds) and was forced to start off my trip to Australia with a two and a half hour wait around for my first flight.
-Got on the plane, and whether due to the recent change from consistent minus 20 weather to above zero or the stress of getting everything ready or being around the infectious mother, noticed a cold sore starting sometime between Toronto and LA, most likely in New York.
-Met a couple guys from Team Astana in JFK Airport. Now met is a word I'll continue to use, but "met" in this case really means first noticed about five guys atleast, walking around the airport with the same grey bookbags on, and one had a Team Astana jacket. After casual stalking while waiting for a oven-baked sandwich, I noticed that each guy had a name tag connected to his bookbag, and being as there were two Spanish speaking, Spanish looking guys in the sandwich line, I checked to see if the smaller one was Alberto Contador. I would think I'd remember his face well enough after he won the Tour de France two years ago, but you never know. It wasn't him. (Astana is the team that Lance, Contador and Leipheimer all race for - the guy I thought coulda been Contador was Daniel Navarro, and also there that I saw the names of were Tomas Vaitkus and I can't find the other guy on their website, but he was tall, tanned and I think spoke Spanish to Navarro)
-Sat next to these two cool Canadians, a couple that was also moving to Australia for six months, hoping to find jobs while coming down here. The guys name was maybe something around Greg or Craig or _________, and the girls name I think was Shirley. I felt terrible because we talked periodically during the flight and afterwards, and they definitely remembered my name and used it enough to make me paranoid they were testing me whether I remembered them. I just stuck with "have a great time, you two" "good luck finding a job, guys" and other sneaking tactics.
-When I got here, I was met by a driver from the University who looked originally like he was just born to fill the Australian stereotype for international students. Shaved head, beard with even longer moustache that curled up on the ends. Poor description, but I took one look at him and thought Australian - that is until he talked with a thick Polish accent. Nice enough guy though, he was explaining a bunch of the stuff about the city to me while two Japanese girls sat quietly in the back, probably only understanding rare words because of his accent and speaking at a normal pace, which is fast for anyone learning the language (I assume they were because when we all got together for the first time, I tried to ask them some stuff and it just flew above their heads).

Well I suppose thats enough for now about the first day, I got some stuff done and am starting to get my first impression of Adelaide. Its busier and more citiesque than I expected, especially with the campus being more downtown than Dal is. Its comparable to that school in Toronto that's like a stone throw from the Eaton's centre. Adelaide and Uni of South Australia (they kinda almost share a campus) are a block and a half from Rundle Mall, a pedestrian only street with all the bells and whistles. The business district is surrounded by parklands though which I may go explore now after a shower. I wanna go for a run around the city because I haven't excercised pretty much since I left halifax on wednesday, because skiing is not excercise, especially in Ontario.