05 February 2009

An explanation found

So everyone has been asking me if I'm excited about Australia, especially yesterday for all to good folks that showed up at Maxwell's. For those of you I didn't really get to sit down and talk to, thanks for understanding. For those that remember what I did, maybe help me put all the pieces together. So, as I said, many people have asked me if I'm excited to leave, and last night I was just answering completely honestly; Nope. Its not at all like I'm dreading the trip or not looking forward to it, but I guess it still hasn't really fully become a reality that I'll be on the opposite side of the world for six months. And then, I was reading a book (Beyond the Horizon - Colin Angus) and he said it perfectly for me -
It was exciting to finally leave, but at the same time I felt both sad and overwhelmed. I was saying goodbye to the familiar world I had known for so long...it was impossible to fully accept the fact that I was, in fact, on a round-the-world expedition...I felt like I was saying goodbye to everything and turning my back on a world of love and comfort and stability in exchange for a life of perpetual uncertainty...

That pretty much sums it up exactly for me. In the rush of preparations, things haven't hit me that in five days I'll be leaving all of my wonderful Canada behind for the unfamiliar. It'll certainly be a telling adventure and I'm confident I'll have an amazing time, yet I still can't help notice that I know nothing about what I'm doing, at all. Up to a point, before it becomes worrying, its actually really comical for me. But the more I think of the uncertainty, the more I think about the possibilities. Some many great things can come from this trip in so many aspects of my life.

There's one thing I have decided on for my trip. I am gonna work while I'm in Adelaide (its actually looking more and more like a necessity), and I'm gonna find out where all the runners/triathletes/cyclists hang out for coffee, and get a job there. I'm hoping this'll help to immerse myself more in the culture and therefore have more access to the collective wisdom these places have. And, who knows, maybe they'll give me free tea and sandwiches, that'd be nice.