After that adventure, I'd quickly come to realize the importance of this hat. Admitedly for the first while, I was slightly ashamed of the emblem emblazoned onto the back, an eagle with wings wide open. But nolonger do I feel that shame, I simply recognize that this hat, and only this particular unique one, was the single greatest product this company had ever made. It was like making 1,000 batches of creeps, tearing and breaking every one, for the one perfect 1001st. Recently, I found out that the wonderful girl I was dating at the time when the cap and I found eachother, didn't care for it at all, but even she quickly recognized the connection between man and trusty bearer-of-the-sun. The hat and I had met its double only once since we'd left the store. I never much cared for the gentleman that owned its evil twin, nor the shape that his hat was in. It was displicably hardly worn, I would've believed that he had bought it just that day. Still its original colour, the fabric still taut. After years of my owning the superiour original I'd completely forgotten which hue that was, but I realized now that the aging of this hat was similar to the aging of a fine scotch; terrible in year one, more than worthy in year six, only to get better as time goes on. But, there was a benefit of meeting this knowledgable man in his all too crisp brim. He asked me, Do you know what the phrase means? I was at a lose, what phrase? What on earth is he talking about? I had bought the hat completely because of the flag behind the words, the Union Jack, during my phase where I was appreciating my own great country a little less and my ancestors' deep roots a little more. I'd never thought The Hairy Dog Pub could mean anything more then a trendy idea of American Eagle's to sell pub and surf shop inspired clothing. It was hear when he told me, as I'll explain with wikipedia's words now, "Hair of the dog is a colloguail English expression predominantly used to refer to ingestion of alcohol as treatment for a hangover...It is a shortened form of the expression 'the hair of the dog that bit you.'" As much as I hardly remember his name and never wonder what it'd be like to speak to him again, learning this from him made me more happy than any other stranger has ever made me feel. Not only did this hat hold great meaning to me, it was also hilarious.
That was four years ago during my first year of university. Though I don't know when we first found eachother, the hat and I have been together for atleast six years if not eight. I don't care to look to find out the exact time frame because it would only demean what the hat actually means to me. Its greater than a number of years spent together, its the amount of experiences we've spent together. Personally, I think high school for me was a time of self-discovery more than for others. It was the first day of grade nine, beginning at a new school, that I started spelling my name Cris, without the H. Many people, when they find out my full name is Christopher but I go by Cris, probably think that it was because I wanted to be unique, stand out and do something I thought was cool. That's simply not the case. I started spelling my name without the h as a representation of change from my former self. I had problems just as everyone else did and does, and I was nolonger going to be slave to these problems. I was going to live differently. I look back now and I think to myself of how I've changed. My closest friends probably wouldn't even have took notice of these changes, because they came from and occured within. The way the cap fits into all this is that it has been there for mostly all of these changes too. It may have arrived a little late, but I've still continued to change and to grow, and ever since I bought it its been there with me, where ever I've been and hopefully where ever I continue to go. Its been to BC treeplanting, Nova Scotia for university, Cuba and Memphis and on many other vacations, and it'll be with in Australia, worn into the country as it always is whenever I travel, out of comfort knowing it won't be crushed while on my head.
The fit of the hat is like that of my own hair and like none other cap I wear. The flag and the brim lean ever so slightly to the left, and a thread has been frayed where the brim meets the bucket for atleast three years. the u in PUB is shorter on the right than the left because of a stray thread that had to be cut off many years ago. When I wear it, sometimes I think of the significance and where we've been, sometimes I just think of how comfortable it is, and sometimes I think nothing at all. But for all the above reasons, all the others I won't tell, and all the stories we've been through together, the hat that has no name is one of my Top Ten things in this world.
*West Nile really wasn't that bad, maybe a handful of birds perished in total and I had never seen one myself.
