28 October 2008

Long-term

So here's the plan, here's what's going on. Mind you they are in no way written in stone and this is only what I'm hoping on what will happen, but its good to write down at least I figure.

1) Get accepted into the University of Adelaide.
-I'm awaiting a reply from a prof at Dal who is just verifying one last class I have to confirm will be accepted by Dal and I'm set to send in my application. I've been in contact directly with admission who said that my GPA is certainly admissible by extenuating circumstances, which I think I mentioned before and which is the best news I could get.
2) After impending approval, I'll have to decide whether I stay in Halifax until February or if I go home and work. I still haven't really even considered this, but I do have a job here that I'm pretty positive would accommodate me for full time and I don't have that at home. But, I'm also paying for living here and wouldn't be in Oakville, so we'll have to wait and see on that one.
3) Leave for Australia in February, have the time of my life and get all my upper year biology classes done, and come back in either June or August, depending on living conditions, cash flow for travel, etc. Assuming I'll be in Adelaide, I might want to try to get out to Melbourne, Sydney, Cairns or Perth, or even the interior outback. This trip will be just a trial run and if I like the place, I'll be back eventually.
4) Get a place to rent, probably a two person with a friend. Me and this guy haven't talked details yet because we're awaiting December holidays before committing to any decisions, but ideally I'd like to live north of Quinpool because I like dissociating school from my living space, but I could probably still do that if I lived south of quinpool a bit closer to school. Quinpool, for anyone not from Halifax, is about a 9 minute walk with major frequent buses going down to Dal. Places are supposed to get cheaper north of quinpool, and I'd love to live a quick five minute bike away. I can see myself giving up on this dream though simply because living closer is definitely easier for the scholastically inclined, which my buddy definitely is. Another hope for this house is that it will be pet-accommadating. I was supposed to get a dog after I was done school, but knowing that is two - five years down the road, I'm really just going for it now. Living with two this school term has made me realize 1) I definitely know what I'd be getting into and would be an excellent caregiver and 2) Its just plain old nice to have a mutt around.
I'm hoping to move to Halifax for the rest of the duration of my schooling here. This is to me is a smart move, as I can space out classes enough that I can continue to work while in school and therefore pay for the place I'm living in, and also spread out my schedule enough that I can do well in school without unneeded pressure. And the biggest reason of all is I'm really excited to have a place to call home. I feel like I'm in that point of my life where its just time to start doing my own thing.

So thats the game plan.
Short term I want to be training more, and if Australia does happen I'm gonna rock January and February so hard to make up for the last two months. I'm gonna cut my 10k time to 40 minutes atleast, and just start flowing more then I do now. I'm not gonna explain that term, but I know sometimes when I run, I just flow.

On the shortest term; I built the back wheel for the bike this weekend. Turned out well, really needs to be tuned. For the crank I think I'm going to pass it over to Nauss bike shop because I just don't have the tools and the parts, and hopefully set something up with these guys that I can get it on the road by November long-weekend. I wanna paint it soon too but gotta make sure I have a spot to do so. The colour scheme is gonna be simple and crazy good.