01 May 2009

A tad bit of adventure and angst

Another entry straight from the travel journal:

I just saw the Boy in the Stripped Pajamas by accident. We went to see a fairly critically recognised Swedish movie, apparently top 200 of all time or something like that, called; I looked for the ticked and I can't find it so it goes nameless. Its actually called Let the Right One In, and I still plan on seeing it this week as at a certain cinema movies are only $6 all the month of May. I expected more out of the boy and the stripped pjs, but I think that's because I can't watch a WWII prison camp movie and not think about Schindler's List, which really is unfair for the rest but speaks enough for Schindler's List. More interesting today was the bike news: After class I went to SCU on Unley Street to see what was going on there, but to no avail. The best deal they can offer me that I'm interested in would be $2200 for a EMC2 Etape Pro (a bit more than 10% discount, which I'd say is better than nothing). The Kona that Liz is suggesting is a good buy but, most superficially, I just think its kinda ugly. The Giant Defy is pretty sexy but Tiagra groupset (meaning that the gear set that comes with the bike is the lowest end, a representation of what you're paying for). But that wasn't the interesting part. I got to TRAK cycles and before long I've got a Merida 2008 Evo Team frame off a $4000 bike (see picture above - sexy), just needing to buy a handlebar and shifters. In the end, $2150 it would cost me. I agreed, thinking put it on the credit card and figure it out. Then I leave and start making it/ OH WAIT. The coolest part that was involved in the Merida deal was that TRAK cycles was then going to sponsor me. Hats and t-shirts (to wear while competing) and all labour for free. Sick! But, as I was saying, got home and went on my way out to swim, newly inspired by the fact that if I'm gonna have such an amazing bike and a pseud0-sponsor, then I better get training again (during mid-semester break because of living in Glenelg and the field trips, I could only run).

Well, on my way I'm fretting about this money thing and trying to justify it to myself (to be able to purchase a new bike, I was supposed to selll the TT bike I bought down here. Its been online for sale but not many people are too interested because its such a sport specific bike, triathlons or time trials only. So to be able to buy the frame (and use all the parts from the Giant bike except a handle bar and shifters) I was going to have to come up with some cash; sell my wet suit, maybe my violin, and maybe a job at McDonald's were my ideas thus far). Then, I hit a car. The car didn't hit me but it definitely wasn't my fault in any way. This lady was trying to find a weird angled parking space and instead of driving predictably, cut me off so that I crashed into her car at a perfect 90 degree angle. I handled myself pretty good (well) by getting the tail of my bike around so that I (as in my person/body) took the brute force of the hit on the shoulder. Unfortunately, because it was probably quite shocking for the passenger, my shoulder and the side of my body smashed into the passenger window and door. The door bent under the force and thankfully popped back out. I was shocked the window didn't break, any normal double-paned house window would've for sure. Well, after checking my back with a light stretch, I was okay and so was her car. This was a sign though for sure (repeat yourself much, Cris? see: for sure). I'm uneasy about the purchase before I made it, the rep from Merida was home (for the evening) so couldn't confirm the sale/order. So it doesn't go through (onto my credit card) and we were waiting for tomorrow morning. I've been really happy and impressed with myself, my zero credit card balance, only reason why I'd consider this purchase at all, and my spending habits lately. And then I get hit by this car, am perfectly fine but figure God must be saying something by it other than "See, you should always do up your helmet" So I get Darren's (friend/salesman at TRAK cycles) cell number off a friend and call him up, tell him the deal, as great as it is, just won't work financially and I'm way too uncomfortable putting up money for a debt that I have no certainty when I'll be able to pay it off. He was super understanding and told me not to stress about it and that he was just gonna buy it himself anyways. Thank God that worked out the way it did; I'm alive, have all my cash still, and followed up with a great swim workout and a free movie with some friends (when playing the Swedish movies, the subtitles didn't work properly so we got free concession and got to see the Boy in the Stripped Pajamas as well). Writing this now my shoulder's sore (swim or crash?) but sometimes God feels bad enough for us to make us have everything work out for the better even when it shouldn't.

For those of you that do read regularly and have noticed maybe a slight lapse in posting, its because I'm waiting for my new computer! IBM thinkpad care of the great people named Sandra and Bart Seaton, with help of Wayne Smith. I've been computerless for some time, and don't like being on campus really longer than I should be so I don't stick around to write posts/send emails. But it should be here soon and I'll be back up and running on the information superhighway. Today I had seven hours of class straight, practically a work day, but stayed awake ever second of it, with the help of a steady diet of peanuts and almonds and Vitamin Water.