09 May 2009

Random thoughts

Hey folks, a great man by the name of Mike Swift-Field recently brought to my attention that it seems like my blogs are written for a defined demographic, as evidence "I feel it's prepared for a different audience". Well, lets address this here, obviously, some of my more famous exploits that specifically Mike and other close friends who are guys would know about (trust me, if you're thinking I mean sexual, I wish, these are just stupid, unexplainable, disgusting or the like sort of things that maybe guys get a laugh out of) aren't going to always make it up onto my blog. This has nothing to do with me protecting my image for those who think I'm still somewhat of a normal human being, but these are omitted on the off chance that my gramma, mom, dad, mom's friends, sister might suffer some sort of shock-induced state of arrest. They all think I'm still some sort of decent fellow, and lets not give them specific reasons to think otherwise.

Now, if I look back on the blog from the beginning of the trip to the present, I will notice an absence of the often beer nights or something of the like. Well, this is mostly because beer nights get old quick for me, and movies are being released faster than I can keep up. Australia when I got here was 30+ degrees and sunny until 9-something at night. Who wouldn't be out drinking in these conditions. Today it was a chilly 16 and its 5h56 and dark already. Thus, triggering my three generation (or is it two generation?) Canadian hibernation subconscious reaction. No matter, I'm enjoying my time, and started reading Dante's The Divine Comedy (well, actually I'm reading the Inferno, which I guess is a book inside the Divine Comedy? I can't really figure that one out either). I do admit this must-be genetic response (since I don't have the willpower to say no to it) is making me miss out on some nights, last night I had three options of different friends to go out with, and instead slept for close to 13 hours. I don't know the last time I did that, but it was obviously quite needed.

So today was pretty uneventful, I went for a run and before had watched this clip.


It makes a lot of sense, and I have noticed my running is most efficient when my tempo is a bit quicker, the stride a bit faster. But, maybe I need those cool shoes to make this work, because I definitely struggled around and sort of dinged up my right knee just a tad. Why was it slower? It was too exaggerated, my step was too short and it was no good. I've learned my mistake and am still very close to my goal of a 40minute 10k. But, today after the run I got reminded how this isn't impressive at all: they showed the ITU World Championship Theory, a good way to popularise the sport with a race circuit but a good way to take people like myself, with bold, out-there aspirations of maybe getting a pro-card or winning an Age Group race one day, that these guys run 30minutes/10km after the 1500m swim and 40km ride. They're doing all of this in about 1h50m. Wow. What a superb test of athleticism. Maybe, though, with a year or two of work, it could be me. (Stop shaking your heads, weirder things have happened)

And, in closing, just to maybe suffice those boys that are missing some of my more 'courageous' events: One my first field trip, ecology, I got paid five dollars for eating a Snake skin found by the tents. It didn't taste good at all.