03 December 2008

New joy

I often get kind of annoyed by particular people that talk about how often they go to the gym and how much they did and how tired I am. That's not what working out should be, there's a difference about talking about it and bragging about it sort of thing. People should be getting in shape and staying healthy for health reasons. But, then something happened; I remembered what its like to not have sports be your life. When things are new, when you're just getting into running or just getting into going to the gym regularly, sometimes you can't help but talk about it because it makes you feel good that you went and you're excited about doing something new. This happened to me last night, my tri training at school has been lack luster due to being so busy, but for the past week or so I've been tackling my biggest weakness/the area where I can improve the most: the pool. I was talking with Ellen when she mentioned something to me about what one of her friends told her; there's certainly training, and triathlon is quite intensive in this, that teaches you just to keep going. Go through the tiredness/boredom/wanting to quit. While I've been in the pool the past couple weeks, the workouts have been pathetic, I've been swimming but not really doing anything of endurance, I'd not pace properly and blow a lung after 100m or even 50m. Last night I decided this will happen no more, I pumped out 3x500 and I've never been more pumped, especially because all this means is that now I know I can do that and can keep doing more. I think this is a key moment in water training for sure, just as the fixie is teaching me more and more that you don't even have to stop pedaling on a bike, always keep your feet moving.

Last night I also found out that I've been accepted to the University of Adelaide for next semester. This is gonna be an amazing trip for sure, going to little deserted Adelaide to surf, scuba, train and in my spare time, take four classes. I knew it was probably a good possibility but there was still a couple things that needed to be cleared, and now that they have I'm set to start planning all the things I'm gonna need to bring down to rock the 4-7 months I'm going to be spending down there. Regretfully, this means no planting in the summer (probably only 10% of planters would actually saddened by this) and no summer time with the boys at home, but alas, you only get chances like this once. I've never even left North America before, let alone the North or Eastern hemisphere, so I'm pumped for sure.

I'm really looking forward to the holiday season too; to get home and see some people and to just not have to work or go to class. I have a feeling with Australia approaching January is gonna fly by, and before I know it it'll be February 17th and I'll be showing up for international oreintation and two weeks later back in classes, so it won't feel like much of a two month break but it will be, and I have big plans for it.