07 June 2009

What I learnt this week

The conventional list of what I learnt this first week of June, 2009 -

1. I should've been born in a different era, this is easily explainable. I love Elvis, he's just the man. I've admired Elvis since my dad and I went to Memphis and got thrown into the extravagance that is Graceland culture down there. And it just happens that today on tv they're showing one of the King's movies, Girl Happy. I haven't been able to catch it all, I had to go grocery shopping, but the parts that I've seen are great. There's just other things as well that make me want to have been born in the early 1900s and to avoid this mess of ever increasing technology and capitalism that never ceases. Things just seemed to be simpler in the past, and much more attractive to me. I would've loved to build my own house, have to walk everywhere. Sure, I wouldn't have liked the 20 kg bikes you'd have to ride around town, and the general lack of advancement in sports training science and the inability to travel around the world, but I also would've liked having fun for the sake of having fun, and not always needing to increase the odds. Go out to bars and find more novel ways to waste money, why I'd be better suited just sitting down around the kitchen table hanging out with friends and listening to the radio. But, this is obviously all talk as I'd have no idea what it really was like without being there, but its nice to think about.

2. Its really easy being lazy, but its actually even easier to just get off your butt and do something. I've had the laundry sitting there in the corner of my room for some time, running down to the last pairs of socks and underwear, and re-wearing t-shirts as much as I could, and it only took a few hours before the stocks were refreshed, all done while watching a movie and working on an essay. This applies to many things, grocery shopping for instance. I've been reluctant out of laziness to make my way to the supermarket this week, so I've been eating very little and what I was eating wasn't all that great. Well, these things take time to amalgamate in the body, but Saturday and this morning I had too of the weirdest workouts I've had all year.

3. Nutrition is actually important. Its not all just talk, its actually true. As I was saying, this week I haven't eaten much. I had a great meal on Friday, but followed it up with two pieces of cake and many many doughnuts. Well, that wasn't a good idea. I made my way to the pool in the morning, nothing to eat before hand, and I just had no energy at all. Swimming's been going great lately, and I'm really starting to know my pacing well enough to know that the effort I was putting in wasn't translating to the times it should have, and on top of that I couldn't find the energy to push myself any harder then I already was going, regardless if it wasn't that hard in the first place. Its kind of hard to explain, but in the end, I couldn't put forth a effort to make my times decent at all. Then there was this morning, after learning what I'd learnt, I had some breakfast and waited for it to settle before making my way for a long Sunday run. I took a new route and didn't really know the distance I was going, so I did it all time based, and figured after my main (new) route followed by a known 2.25k route, I figured I had hit my 14 or 15k mark that I wanted to put in this morning. Well, I came back home pumped about what I thought was a relatively good time and good effort, and it turns out it was awful, not by all standards but most. I got a good run in, but the pace was slow, and the distance wasn't close to 14. It was 12.74k when last week I got in 13.68k, this won't ever do. The worst was, because I had ran at a slower pace, I had plenty left in the tank to cheap going. But, although I had fuel, after I was doing my post-run lounging, my stomach was absolutely wrecked. This all translates to an awful nutrition regime this past week, something I shaltn't repeat this week.

I'm sure I learnt more, but some lessons are best kept to yourself.
School's officially over except for 2 hrs of class on Friday, 4 essays to hand in, and 4 exams to write. Then I'll really get to relax (sarcasm - its all I've been doing these past 4 months).