14 June 2009

Surprised about where this trip has gone

So the allure of Adelaide hasn't really worn off, but Australia has been letting me down lately. I may have mentioned this before but the weather here has turned exactly into the weather you would experience back at home, minus the fact that at home, when it rains a lot and its around ten degrees, we as Canadians know its only going to get warmer (I find, correct me if I'm wrong, that often the autumn doesn't rain all that much). I don't know how much we've gotten lately, but it just seems consist. Every day there's not too much sun to be had. I got an extremely eery feeling today coming out of the movie theatre. We had gone to see an early show for Trine's birthday and whenever you see an early show, its always a little weird coming out of the cinema and it still being light outside. But particularly today, it was a little extra weird for me. I'm looking up in the sky, and there's not a single variation in the colour. Like how fog is all that one colour of light gray, the entire sky was like that. And it was a hue and of a brightness that it actually hurt your eyes to look at, well hurt is an exaggeration but definitely some squinting had to be done. You'd be less hard pressed looking into a bright blue, beautiful clear sky that wouldn't need this kinda squinting. This really is just a terrible description as to what happened, but for reference sake if I ever look back on the post of 14 June 2009, I'll know exactly what I was talking about.

So as for the title of the post, this past week has been just extremely uneventful. After a semesters worth of not really having much work to do at all (for the entire semester, I've had to hand in two assignments total), I was just faced with three days and 44 pages of scientific papers to write. That obviously took up a lot of my week. On Monday, though, I went to a wine and sea festival with some friends and we had a great day tasting some reds, some whites, some ports, and some decent pizza. I still stand by the fact that the best pizza served in the entire world (granted I've never been to Italy so this is a bold statement) is found in Amqui, Quebec. No idea what the place is called, but the seafood pizza there is by in large one of the single best meals I've ever eaten. This has just occurred to me: In retrospect, this was the first meal I'd eaten after running the half-marathon in Rimouski, a likely cause to me enjoying just about anything at that time. But, as proof that it wasn't all hallucinations, Ellen also said that the pizzeria is legendary.

So Monday was the wine festival.
Tuesday was the Australian Gehyra geckos phylogeny/evolution write up.
Wednesday was the Hakea francisiana plants as a mammalian pollinator food source write up.
Thursday was the Acacia papyrocarpa canopy's shade providing a piosphere write up.
Friday was the handing in of all said write ups, the final day of classes and some relaxing movies rented from blockbuster.
Saturday was some reading enjoying a few early hours of sun on a cool day until the rain came and witnessing Pittsburgh win the Stanley cup, followed my watching the movie Bloodsport with Jean-Claude Van Damme (even if you remember every part of this movie, I guarantee you don't remember how hilarious it was)
And Sunday was Trine's birthday and watching the Hangover. I was originally supposed to see this with my buddy Sam and his housemates, but I couldn't refuse the birthday girl. You only turn 1/4 of a century once.

As for training, I'd prefer not to discuss it. A tyre flatted on the bike that I'm riding so I haven't been able to make it up to the pool, and the weather hasn't been making me want to jump outside for a run. 10deg is a tricky one to dress for because you don't know whether to go with the pants and a tshirt, the long sleeve and shorts, or what. But tomorrow I've got 16k scheduled, rain or shine. And start revising for upcoming exams, and get that tyre fixed so I can get to the pool for the last days of my membership. I can see the finish line coming soon and then I'll be in new areas of Australia with new photos to post. I'm actually waiting for a really nice last day in Adelaide to go around and take some pictures to remember the place by, but that hasn't quite come yet. I've also been missing my bike like crazy and can't wait to get home and enjoy some of those north of Oakville rollers.

Apologise for the lack of posts, but as you can see there isn't too much to write home about.