This weekend afforded me a kind of learning outside of the classroom, taught through experience trial and error. Here's a quick recap of both the weekend and some lessons learnt in Australia.
1.) I need to get more sleep (saying this whilst I'm tired but sitting here typing this blog to keep everyone updated) and so does anyone planning on training for triathlons. Friday I started my new training program, I'm quite pumped about that still, but after a day of only 24 minutes of swimming and 48 minutes of climbing in the saddle, I went to bed too late and slept through my alarm. If you're keeping up to date, this alarm was set to start the morning off proper before surfing with a good breakfast and making it into the city so we could get the car and go. Well, thankfully, Saturday was an amazing day and the sun shining into my room to wake me at 8h16. I called Simon and set everything up, and was in the car and on our way to the beach by 10ish. The drive was epic, the company great and the pictures will prove this all, uploaded by the end of the week.
2.) If you're first experience wasn't that great, don't fret about it and try again. My first surfing experience in Australia was great, but it still left something more to be desired. Mostly more time up on the board, and better waves, and better weather, and just an overall better experience. Well, I learnt by going again this weekend that things come with time, and me up on a board is going to become an all to common sight from this point forward. The day was amazing, absolutely incredible, and I even unveiled a treat for the crowds to see, you'll see this when I throw the videos online.
3.) I don't need to eat as much as I think I do. No one does. Overeating is a pretty big problem, for guys especially I think. Its a kind of unhealthy habit that guys get into when they become teenagers, awkward, acne covered bottomless pits that you can't fill fast enough. This has to stop eventually, and I think thats exactly when you turn 23. Or that's when it should stop.
4.) Wearing thongs (sandles) to the bar is just plain old not acceptable on a Saturday night. On Tuesday I'm planning on writing a top 10 about this night, so keep tuned in.
5.) Wearing football jerseys makes you popular with the blokes and even cab drivers, who sometimes let you hire them specifically on the team you're wearing. But in contrast, European people have a lot more 'style' than Canadian/American people. They're much more willing to pay top dollar for clothes and look good because of it. This is unfortunately infectious behaviour, and makes me in turn want to spend money on clothes so I have more than one different pair of pants in Australia, and perhaps get a haircut. These aren't ridiculous notions, but also not my style had I been at home.
Those are five solid lessons, although they might not seem all too great. Summed up to be;
i) Get sleep, keep yourself relaxed.
ii) Don't just try things once, try them twice.
iii) Enjoy eating and fuel your mind and body properly.
iv) Know what's going on around you so to not waste your time.
v) Wear more football jerseys and don't be so cheap.
Inspire
12 years ago
