Having this much time off during the week is amazing. You can really do whatever you please (of course after taking time to study) and still not be pressed for time the next day. So let's start with Monday. Monday was a state-wide holiday in South Australia (SA), and is called Adelaide Cup Day. The Adelaide Cup is SA's premier horse race, and in true Aussie fashion, everyone takes the day off work to go grab some beers and dress up fancy to watch a couple beautiful animals run around in a circle. In true visiting students fashion, of course we all went. What an atmosphere. Everyone in a great mood, tram to the track, which was absolutely massive, so much so that even in the front row you can't really see the horses on the opposite side of the track, they look the size of ants and the starting gates are just an obscure white structure on the grass oval. So we get there and enjoy the day, a couple of us win some of our bets, most of us didn't. Especially myself, four horses let me down that fateful day by all placing but none winning, and the payout would've funded my drinking for the day. But alas, somehow heading home after Race 9, which was actually the Adelaide Cup, I get into one of those situations you know in about two hours you're very much going to regret. If anyone knows this as well as I do, its Spencer Burley (some of you reading are starting to clue into now as what is coming).
We were on our way for supper, and someone said to me that we were going to a schnitzel place, where they serve really big schnitzels. As everyone reading knows, a "big" meal to me doesn't exist unless you have a third serving (thanks ma and dad, allowing me to lick the plate clean when I was growing up). So Philip, another Danish guy, gaurentees I'll barely be able to eat one, and I refute by telling him that I gaurentee I can eat two in an hour. At the restaurant I had one done in less than twenty minutes, and upped the bet if I finish in 45 minutes I get a free cigar as well. Well I left the heavier one for second, and after 45 minutes I had three slices left, small stuff. But I just could not do it. The hour finished with just one-sixteenth of the meal left. The bar had said it had never been done before, and was only attempted once and the guy failed pitifully. The bartender even brought me out a beer as 'encouragement' during the meal, free of cost. I formally apologize for the people that had put faith in me to finish. I really did think it was going to be done, and I had Philip and Martin, the guys who I made the bet with, counting their cash getting ready to pay for the meal. But atleast I still live to eat another meal and make another stupid mistake like that one someday.
So onto my fourth day of the weekend, Tuesday. Great day, because it was just full of stuff I love to do. I got to sleep in, then went out to a gorgeous outdoor pool and swim 3200m, then buy groceries for the week staying below ten dollars/day and health too (all salads and bulk meat). This was after dropping off more resumés and actually getting a 'trial' day (so I'm pretty confident that means I'm hired) at a 24hr bakery/coffee shop/bar. And then the bike ride. I did the same Norton Summit that I did before, but a little bit later in the evening. Yet again, I'm going to go on and on about how amazing this ride was. The uphill is a struggle, but I was faster this time than I was last time, so that's a positive. Then I took a different route and got to fly dhill for a bit before realizing it'd been about 57 minutes into my ride and I gotta turn around, and make it back up all the down I'd been going, and ontop of this before the sun starts to descend on the wonderful day (29 degrees mid-day, swimming in freshwater during in an outdoor pool, what an experience). Well after my second approach to the summit, this time from the other side, I see one of the most picturesque sites I've ever seen. I'm at the edge of a basin-like valley, so covered on three sides with elevation, and you see this valley set out in front of you, vineyards in the middle, another valley beyond that, and beyond that one you can see the outline of the highrises of Adelaide in the setting sun. For these moments, and many others, I'm trying to find myself a lower quality, cheaper digital camera to be able to share with everyone.
Some photos stolen from other people (thanks Joske) from the Adelaide Cup (thats only one of the two schnitzels):
Inspire
12 years ago





