12 April 2009

Great idea...

The view from the balcony of where I'm staying right now;


Some of my emails and some of my blogs of late haven't been of the most positive natures. This isn't at all a reflection of how I've been feeling, but I think has much to do with the time that I'm actually writing them. Allow me to explain, many of my days of late have been those longs days when its not busy enough and instead you have to find things to do to fill the minutes, and there's too much sitting around. So here's my great idea thats a cure for those meloncholy messages; write while high. Shocked? Questioning yourself about how much do I actually know my friend, my son, my grandchild? Well, I've been getting high everyday now in Australia since almost I've been here, minus a few days - high on endorphins. Endorphins are hormones released, among other ways, while excercising. So, most of you that read this tend to get high every once and a while too. Did I have you going for a bit though?

So anyways, I just did an amazing workout in the gym of this amazing apartment. I don't have my bike out here and wanted to get out on the bike and not just go for a run so I decided to go down to the gym and hope on the bike, and for the first time do an official 'brick workout'. A brick workout is when you go immediately from one triathlon sport to another, so in this case it was going from cycling to running. To put it in perspective for myself, I did half the distances in a triathlon (Olympic triathlon, the distances I want to compete in, 1500m swim 40km ride 10km run). So I finished the first 20km on the bike in 36m36s (wierd eh?) and did the run in roughly 22m30s plus/minus (when I turned off the machine it took away the time, and I was watching the distance not the time, but figured that its inbetween 22 and 23 minutes. The first thing I noticed after coming off the bike is that I thought I was flying on the run but my pace was more than 5min/km, which is slower than I ever run. But after I got the feeling in them I wanted to push myself. I didnt want to run a 25m 5k so I cotinued to increase my pace after 1k. Well, I finished and felt great. Because it was indoors and there were no fans, I hadn't sweat like that in a really long time, but I know that if I was on my bike I would've been faster, but can't necessarily say that for the run. Treadmills are traps in the regards that they really do most of the work. I mean, you push yourself and work hard to keep up, but if you were outside most people can't keep up the same pace (not even factoring in the lack of change in elevation).

So besides the great workout, I had another great one on the beach yesterday, 4k run in 17m. I saw the Boat that Rocked yesterday with Hannes and that was hilarious and a good chunk of my time. I spent the day getting a heck of a lot of work done, but will do more after I post this and tomorrow. I made pizza for supper today, magic. I watched and continue to fall in love with Aussie footy - both Port Adelaide Power and Adelaide Crows won today (professional teams in the AFL) and watched netball yesterday, and that is a terrible sport. Its exactly like a passing drill that we used to do for basketball, and the passing takes skill but the easiest part of the game is the actual scoring. If you ever watch, you'll completely understand. And finally, I watched Lord of the Rings yesterday, Two Towers, but only the second half because they split it up for tv programing reasons. Viggo rocks, and for the rest of the Danish nation who thinks he was born in Jutland - that is just a huge lie spread by one breathtaking lady named Nina Haff Jørgensen. He was born in New York, and speaks English, Spanish, Danish, French, and can get by in Swedish, Norwegian and probably Elf as well. The vacation continues to go amazingly and I'm leaving Tuesday for a littile camping trip and field study of the great Aussie near outback. Love it.


- The inside of the apartment, minus the bathroom and kitchen, which are also amazingly nice as well. Aussie footy on the tube while I was doing homework out there on the patio table.