12 January 2009

Whoa...that kinda hurt

So I'm back in the swing of things in Halifax. Regretfully, a friend made me realize that coming back out here was not financially worth my time at all. I thought to myself originally; Well I have a job or two out in Halifax and can live there until its time to leave and come back. But, what I was shown today is factor in the cost of living plus the cost of the train out here and the flight back (theoretical being as my dad scored me a free flight), then I'm really out here to break even (and that could even be being hopeful, depending on hours I'm able to work). So, jokes on me, ah well. But had I not come back to Halifax, I wouldn't be seeing the people I've gotten to see so far and will see soon, and I wouldn't have been able to spend three hours today working out in a boxing gym.

Oh yes, you read both of those correctly. Boxing gym (say what?) and three hours (come again?). Firstly, I joined a boxing gym for a month (the month where I have nothing else going on other then mindless work at Tim Horton's so I knew that finally for even such a short time in my life, fitness could come first. So when my good friend Sean told me that he was interested in joining the Amateur program at his boxing club (two things you'd need to know - Sean is a guy who doesn't half-ass things (sorry, there's no better term for it) which is why he's such a great guy, and two - to do the program right, it requires commitment.) So to encourage Sean and to get him into more of a routine, I said I'll join for the month, and cross-train there as finding a good bike workout on a budget is a pretty hard thing to do in the winter. So today was the first day of what I'm planning to be 3 workouts this week, 4 next week, and 5 the following one. I have 23 days left in Halifax so I'll work in some rest time in between of course and maybe be able to throw a couple more workouts there in. But on to the first day. Wow. Everyone knows boxers are tough people, but I guess I never realized just how tough. I like hard workouts and like to suffer through them, and so I never really think of how hard a workout looks or is. When I thought about boxers being tough, it was because they could take a punch and roll on. Well, I now prescribe to a completely different mindset. To commit yourself to that self destruction of a workout day in and day out, THAT makes you a tough man. My legs were saved only by the triathlon training I've been able to do to prepare me for that single moment, but my arms have only once in my entire life been as tired as they are. (The other time was a workout with Greg Kowalski in high school at the gym at AMC theatres, where for some particular reason of trying to push a guy who was probably at the time and definitely now stronger then me, I came back to the car with barely the energy or ability to put on my jacket and open the car door. Great day)

So while there's plenty more I could tell you about in my time in Halifax so far, this deserves to be the ending point. The day when I stepped inside a boxing ring for the first time, and had a 5'4" girl make me hurt so bad that even I admitted it was just plain ole' tough.