17 January 2009

How the world could help itself out a little bit

Today something great happened, and I wish it would happen more often. Here I was, biking home in the morning, about 1pm, -17degrees, feels like -26. And I'm biking along thinking to myself how much I truly enjoy getting on my bike. Its so much faster then the busy, and although there's times when you just want to get in a car and drive somewhere instead, on a nice crisp day like today when the sun is absolutely blazing out there, you can't help but feel that its just you and the road. So thinking its already a great day, here I am flying down the street in a ski jacket, balaclava and helmet, condensation from my breath freezing the moisture on my eyelashes, and to make things even better I'm stopped at a stop light waiting, and this guy (in a Ford F150, so you know he's quality) stops and rolls down his window. And here are two complete strangers, sitting at the lights talking about the weather. I was particular proud when he said that he was really impressed with my devotion given the conditions. And then we started talking about the wind that Halifax is notorious for making the weather that much colder, as you can even see by today and today wasn't really that windy out.

But I've decided something about the weather after this past week of virtually everyday being -20. Sure, its cold, but when you dress proper, its more just amazing then anything else. Its just so Canadian that I couldn't want anything more. This is what winter is supposed to be like, cold. Snow on the ground. Ice on the sidewalks. Burning ears and numbs fingers. I love it. I'm actually believe it or not, gonna be sad to be leaving in for Australia, but then again, I won't be that sad. And of course its gonna feel bad when you're sitting around thinking about how cold it is, but why not think that its just great out. Crisp air is amazing. Hits the lungs with perfection, numbs the capillaries in the nose. I love that winter bite.

My third day of boxing, on Thursday, was pretty good, again not as sore, and I worked a lot on the speed bag and double-ended, and they're getting a lot better, as well as staying mobile on the feet. Workouts are getting easier as one would imagine, but a sore shoulder has kept me away. I might make the trip down today because they're closed on Sunday's, but we'll have to wait and see.

24 days until the flight leaves.