14 January 2009

Not as bad...

Day two of boxing, after one days rest. During the beginning of the workouts I was definitely feeling tired and sore still, but I keep one with it. It wasn't too comfortable at the beginning at all, but after a bit of time when I was either hitting the pads, the speed bag or the double-ended bag and not really throwing a huge amount of bunches, in succession with force, it was a lot easier on the body. I think the way to feel as sore is to go in and just get the blood flowing in the arms tomorrow but not try to throw any big power and it should be okay. I couldn't speak any better about the people at Palooka's Boxing Club, everyone's welcoming, helpful and friendly, and not afraid to give tips either. Had I of known that it would have been this easy to learn (granted with hard effort and discipline) I would've started going a long time ago. But they for sure have a great set up there and the place is great, nice and open with good equipment.

All of the Australian plans are going great, flight booked, visa and enrolment confirmed, now its just settle in, wait and think of what I'll need when I go there, which is really not much. Clothes and thats it. Although its been great being out of school, I'm hoping that the UofAdelaide will also be as good experience of the trip as the travel and the new area and not as dull as last semester ended up being. I recently was accepted to Dalhousie's Engineering program, which was great news to hear over the Christmas break, and so I'll be doing both degrees concurrently for the next while. First I'll do the engineering diploma and after that I'll decide whether or not to go on and get the degree (Environmental Engineering) and see what job paths that could lead me down in the future.

There's so many things and paths I could go down that its hard to really focus on one, take the chance thinking that you'll be happy doing that the rest of your life. I want to find something that inspires me, allows me the chance to make some sort of difference in the world - small or big, and affords me enough of a salary to live on. No lavish or expensive lifestyle, just one that God-willing I can support a family on and have the ability to fly back home whereever I am to visit family and friends, have a place of my own on some land, hopefully forrested with some trails running through, and get out of the city. But I'm sure I'm one of many who always wanted something like this but fewer seem to get what they want in life, but maybe I'll be willing enough to make the sacrifices and put in the hard work. Here's hoping.